This week Emma our nutritionist is adding to the Woburn Osteopaths blog page with a selection of reasons as to why we all need to add lemons to our shopping list.
Did you know that lemons …
- Are a great source of Vitamin C and Potassium. Other beneficial nutrients include: vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper, iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc?
- Are a great source of flavonoids (antioxidants that contain anti-cancer fighting properties)?
- Contain a substance called d-limonene, which may help to dissolve gallstones. Lemon juice may also form urinary citrate, which may in some cases prevent the formation of crystals?
- May seem quite acidic whereas they are a great source of alkaline food and may help to support the body’s pH balance?
- May damage tooth enamel unless diluted before drinking their juice?
The medicinal power of the lemon
- An immune system booster
- A great stomach cleanser and aid to stimulate the digestive tract e.g. indigestion, heartburn, constipation
- Antibacterial properties: treatment of throat infections (associated with the common cold and fever)
- Respiratory disorders
- Anti-inflammatory response e.g. painful joints, arthritis – may help to dissolve uric acid
- High blood pressure
- The potassium content may help to nourish brain and nerve cells
- Hair and skin cleanser
- A blood purifier
- Treatment of kidney stones
- Aid weight loss (lemons contain pectin fiber which may help to eliminate waste and flush out toxins from the body
- May help to replenish body salts after a workout
Why not start enjoying the health benefits yourself? Try and make it part of your daily routine to drink the juice of a lemon mixed with hot water first thing in the morning!
Contact Emma for a nutrition session this month: https://woburn-osteopaths.cliniko.com/bookings.